A tactical flashlight is simply a flashlight that is specially designed for tactical use. The flashlight is often used in conjunction with a firearm to aid low light target identification, which allows the marksman to simultaneously illuminate and aim the target. The light expelled by the flashlight acts as a non-lethal force as it temporarily blinds and disorients targets. Tactical flashlights can either be mounted, usually on a headgear with a strap, or handheld.
Tactical flashlights such as the Shadowhawk X800 are commonly used by the military, police, outdoorsmen, first responders, survivalists/preppers, hunters, hikers, firemen, fishermen, and the average civilian as a personal defense tool.
As an average civilian with no gun or any other weapon, a tactical flashlight comes in handy during dangerous situations. For example, a flashlight can help you identify attackers in the dark. Attackers often take advantage of the darkness to pounce on unsuspecting individuals. The bright blinding light from the flashlight can identify such threats pretty fast, allowing you to prepare yourself for defense, flee, or call for help. In fact, shining the light on the bad guys can be enough to make them run away quickly.
As a defense bonus, some tactical flashlights have toothed or serrated bezel. After temporarily blinding your attacker, you can strike them with the serrated bezel. Some manufacturers also suggest using the bezel to break a car window in case of an emergency.
And of course, a tactical flashlight can help you find stuff in the house, more so in the basement where the lighting might be insufficient.
Features of Tactical Flashlights
A tactical flashlight has features that make it exceptionally useful and effective in terms of performance, durability, and as a self-defense weapon compared to the regular flashlight. Below are the main features of a tactical flashlight.
• High/Medium/Low/Strobe/SOS function modes
• Rechargeable double/triple AAA batteries
• A serrated/toothed bevel for a self-defense weapon
• Sturdy, ultra-tough, compact, and lightweight
• LED bulb
The Benefits of Tactical Flashlights
A tactical flashlight comes in handy in numerous situations; whether during an attack, emergency or when looking for stuff in the house. It’s one tool that you can afford to have.
If you’ve never owned a tactical flashlight and are looking to buy one, there are a few things you could learn about this awesome tool. Here are the benefits of a tactical flashlight.
• It’s Versatile: Unlike a regular flashlight which only provides one lighting option, the tactical flashlight has multiple modes including low, medium, high, Strobe, and SOS. You can push the bezel to operate the light in low mode (low light beam), medium mode (medium light beam), high mode (high light beam). It also comes with an SOS strobe option for signaling.
• It’s Highly-Durable: There is no denying that the military-grade build is what attracts many buyers. Why is that? When you hear of a military-grade material, this is a material that is of the highest quality in terms of quality, performance, flexibility, and durability. Tactical lights are made with military-grade aluminum, the same kind of aluminum used to build planes. These flashlights can fall, roll, or even hit the hardest surfaces and fail to break. You can expect it to use it for years.
• It’s Light in Weight: Even though it’s one of the strongest materials available, aluminum is generally light in weight. You won’t tire while holding it in your hand or when mounted on your head gear.
• It’s Compact: Tactical flashlights are generally small in size. This makes it easy for you to store it in your backpack or pocket. It doesn’t require much storage space either. Also, its size allows you to conceal it. You can move around without anyone noticing it in your pocket or purse.
• Uses AA Batteries: Most tactical flashlights use the AA batteries, which are some of the most powerful batteries available. The batteries can run for a long time and the good news is that they are rechargeable. Their long battery life makes them perfect for campers, outdoorsmen, preppers, or people who are a bit far from electrical supply.
• It Produces a Bright Light: The bright blinding light is of course the reason why tactical lights make great self-defense weapons. A tactical flashlight produces a minimum of 60 lumens of a solid beam; no dark spots or holes. If a 60 lumens beam seems inadequate for you, go for one with more than 300 lumens on the highest setting.
• Comes with Zoom Functionally: A tactical flashlight has a zoom functionality that allows you to zoom to your desired light beam. If the low-light beam isn’t enough, you can always zoom to a higher setting.
Things to Consider when Buying a Tactical Flashlight
Buying a tactical flashlight can be a daunting task. With so many options available in the market, it can be an overwhelming task. However, if you get to know what to look for, it can become much easier. Here is a quick summary of the top things to look out for when buying a tactical flashlight to ensure that you get the best quality.
• Consider the size
• Budget- How much are you willing to pay?
• How Much Light do you Need- Usually, a 60-100 Lumens tactical flashlight is enough to cause temporary blindness
• Power Source- Do you want rechargeable or disposable batteries?
• Durability- Go for military-grade construction and a waterproof LED bulb
Never underestimate the power of a tactical flashlight. It’s one versatile tool that can help you accomplish many tasks and offer first line defense against attacks and emergencies. Purchase the best quality and you’ll never regret spending your money on this great tool.